Thursday, July 15, 2010

Better than Chocolate

During the school year I always pass by the Office of the Center for Reconciliation and say hi. I do this in part because I enjoy the staff in there, but mostly because of the tasty treats the Administrative Assistant keeps on her desk. It’s an exercise in Christian love, because no matter how few are left, she always yields them to visiting friends freely. What’s great is throughout a given week the candy will change, so you’re always in for a surprise, but she is loyal to a chocolate theme, so you know you’re never be disappointed.

Such is the case with the administrative assistant at the church I am, currently interning with. While she doesn’t keep candy on her desk, her name is Candi, and boy does she ever keep me coming back for more. Every time I visit her office, which is way too frequently, she always has a surprise for me. Sometimes it’s a book we’ve discussed, other times, a sermon series on CD, another time a podcast from an amazing witness of Christ, or anecdote that keeps the thought of my future husband alive in my mind.. It’s always something new with that Candi, and she never leaves me disappointed. Comparable to the beloved admin in CFR whose theme was chocolate, Candi’s theme is encouragement, with the chewy nougat of the love of Christ at the center.

If you’ve been reading since the beginning of the summer, you know that I had been having some difficulty with the quiet and stillness of a summer in Durham. This city girl is used to having lots of distractions to tickle her fancy. My naturally restless nature was being charged by God to slow down and seek Him. Well in the midst of negotiating that stillness, Candi has been that spring of fresh water in the desert that God promises He will provide. I say this, because she ministers to every part of me, in so many ways and desires nothing in return. Have you ever had someone like that in your life? The other day, while thinking through the food with which she’s fed me, the knowledge with which she has filled me, the love with which she surrounds me, the prayers with which she has covered me and the hope with which that she inspires me, I was convinced she is an angel sent by God. Lets face it; life can be a difficult road, and the Word promises that God will send relief.

I am currently in a season of pruning - pruning that’s difficult. God is taking buds of my life that have grown and that I thought were just fine, and he’s cutting them off for the sake of more fruitfulness. To boot, God is telling me I must be still while He does it - and we all know I don’t handle stillness well. But in His mercy and His great provision as Psalm 91 says He has given his angels charge over me. I’m almost positive Candi’s an angel. Though I am at the church to teach and to preach, God in his infinite wisdom and humility has given the church secretary charge over me, and its one of the biggest blessings I have has in a long while.

As I was thinking about her angelic assignment, I called out to her asking, “Candi is your name short for something?” I love to find out the meaning of peoples names. I am sure that it speaks to the character of a person. I have been looking up names for years - Call it a pass time of mine. Surely the lengthier version of her name would be a clue. She runs over to my office and says yes, it’s short for Candle… Candle Ray. As the words left her lips, a voice in my head said, “A candle to light your way.” I knew it. Whether she knows it or not she is an angel to me in this season, and a friend I will not soon let go of. I mean imagine a summer of all you can eat Snickers bars and then quitting cold turkey. Oh no, whether she likes it or not I am going to be around, digging into the wealth of her love and wisdom, like I do the candy dish at CFR; because fellowship with her is sweeter than skittles and peanut butter cups put together - and that's saying a whole bunch!

Ever Higher
CB

No comments:

Post a Comment